The main objective of iBorderCtrl is to enable faster and thorough border control for third country nationals crossing the land borders of EU Member States (MS), with technologies that adopt the future development of the Schengen Border Management. iBorderCtrl provides a unified solution with aim to speed up the border crossing at the EU external borders and at the same time enhance the security and confidence regarding border control checks by bringing together many state of the art technologies (hardware and software) ranging from biometric verification, automated deception detection, document authentication and risk assessment. iBorderCtrl designs and implements a comprehensive system that adopts mobility concepts and consists of a two-stage-procedure, designed to reduce cost and time spent per traveller at the land border crossing points: road, walkway, train stations.
Continuous traffic growth, combined with the increased threat of illegal immigration, is putting nowadays border agencies under considerable pressure. Slow border crossings impact traveller satisfaction, business and trade. According to the Cockfield Report in 1980, the estimated income from abolishing controls on internal borders gave a rise as much as 2.5% of the annual GDP of the Member States. Calculating with figures from 2011, this means 232 billion EUR annually. A smaller, but still considerable rise in the EU GDP can be achieved through better facilitating border checks – and so, commercial traffic – at external borders. At the same time as making the border clearance process as streamlined as possible, the authorities need to make checkpoints safe and secure but also consider the limitations coming from human resources. Border checks become increasingly more challenging due to increased international trade, more complex supply chains and more sophisticated criminal activity. They also need to do all this at lower cost.
iBorderCtrl focuses on the land border crossing points: road, walkway, train stations. It addresses the better facilitation of thorough checking required for third country nationals that intend to cross EU borders. To this respect, iBorderCtrl specific objectives are:
- To significantly increase the efficiency in terms of traveller throughput at the border as well as security in terms of significantly fewer successful illegal crossings;
- To achieve greater comfort, reduced time at the border by utilising the portable traveller devices and portable units;
- To utilize pre-registration step as a means to better inform travellers of their rights, the procedures they will have to go through for their travel, the data collected and how they are analysed as per EU and national legal requirements and to obtain, were necessary, an informed consent from the traveller.
- To reduce the subjective control and workload of human agents and to increase the objective control with automated means that are non-invasive and do not add to the time the traveller has to spend at the border;
- To create of a fifth tier for the four-tier access control model of the Integrated Border Management System involving bona fide travellers, especially regular travellers into a Schengen-wide frequent traveller programme including a reward system based on number of successful crossings and trouble-free stay.